[TowerTalk] to sue or not to sue

Mac McCullough w5mc at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 12 07:03:17 EDT 2006

advance the issue a bit further,  IF the crane had in any way been damaged,
what do you think the owner would have said,   THAT YOU a lowly non
professional was responsible,  THE OPERATOR is ALWAYS responsible with the
last word,  if you had asked him to proceed against his advice then you
would have in effect said ok  im bearing all responsibility,   but that you
deferred to the operator,  places the responsibility on the operator .. I
have been using Cranes for 25 years 25 ton -200 ton ,  and have crossed this
decision point many times ...  never an accident,  but when decisions were
required the decision to proceed or not was the operators,  if I asked him
to jeopardize the crane ,  it was never a point past NO !!  if I was only
jeopardizing my equipment,  the responsibility was always understood it was
my dime I was playing with,  and had something ever happened ,  I would have
honored that ...  If indeed you left the full decision as you stated for the
operator decision,  then therein is also the point of responsibility...

a point of caution, I would be very very reluctant to claim anything under
my homeowners policy, even if it were honored,  point , at review time 1 of
2 things,  you wont be renewed,  or a hefty premium increase, based on some
small modifier of your past experience with the carrier, here in Texas you
need to save your claim time for really big or catastrophic events.. this
does not seem to be in that category,  also normally if you want the
driveway to be protected it is an extra charge in that the crane company
will send out an additional truck carrying planking to help spread the
weight as the crane cross's the driveway area... spool or cable ends is
normal protection for the outriggers and is not a uptick in costing,  but
planking is an extra cost...

gud luk   mac/mc  w5mc

Located 46 miles due North of the Alamo, and 121 miles due South of the
Western White House.   see my website at  www.collinsandharrisradios.com