[TowerTalk] US Tower MA 550 Windloading - 90MPH?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Sep 12 09:31:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/9/2006 5:57:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I am applying for a building permit to put up a US Tower  MA-550 with a
Force
12 C4 Yagi in Minnesota.

>  The City is  asking to see wind loading calculations for 90 MPH as well as
calculations  for radial ice.  I am trying to convince them that I will have
it
nested most of the time (which I will).  The info I got from US Tower  has a
lot
of detail but it only goes up to 70 mph.  Has anyone run  these calculations
on
this tower for 90 mph both fully extended and  nested?
For neighborhood aesthetics, I really want to stay with the tubular  look.

    I think someone has already mentioned that it  won't make that windspeed
fully extended. The last one I got a PE stamp for (I  think it was a
72-footer) was for 85 MPH and it was rated for a 25 pound load.  The rating goes to
zero and below at higher windspeeds.

    You better get the lattice one or go with a  non-crank-up self-supporter
or a guyed tower to get what you need.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH