[TowerTalk] US Tower MA 550 Windloading - 90MPH?

Robert Chudek - KØRC k0rc at citlink.net
Tue Sep 12 18:28:24 EDT 2006

Hello Al,

With this new engineering obstacle in your path, you need to start looking at heavy duty towers, as suggested in other parts of this thread. Having to provide a design with 1/2" of radial ice loading to the city puts your installation into a commercial grade tower. Not only does the ice add surface area, it adds incredible weight to a structure as well.

For reference, the Heights Tower Company lists a standard 32 foot tower capable of supporting 8 sq ft of antenna in 100 mph winds with 1/2" radial ice. You will find it listed near the bottom of this page (scroll way down the page, right above the picture of the 92 foot tower rated for 150 mph winds that was installed in south Florida):  http://heightstowers.com/stacked_tapered_towers.htm

Under that photo is this statement: "Heights Towers can provide engineering calculations and diagrams signed by a Professional Engineer licensed in your state for $350 on standard tower configurations." Few, if any, amateur tower manufacturers provide this type of engineering help.

If I remember correct, you have HOA approval for a 70 foot tower. I would call Drake at Heights Tower and talk to him about your new requirements and which Heights products could satisfy the specs. He says they can provide a "PE stamp" to satisfy the city even on custom configurations. Heights also manufacturers crankup towers, although they are lattice, not tubular.

Also, don't confuse the Heights design with the popular Universal towers. There is no comparison in capacity or workmanship. I have installed and worked on both types. The Heights sections join together with couplers. The legs are not nested. On the larger sections, they join together with flanges, like the Pyrod commercial products. Gary Meyer, KCØSB, had an 88' self supporting Heights when he lived in Forest Lake.

The only "good" I see out of this ordeal is you can send the neighbors to the "Commissioner" if any of them complain about the esthetics.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 8