[TowerTalk] 90mph

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at verizon.net
Wed Sep 13 18:56:23 EDT 2006

Thanks, all, for the comments. Mine are bottom posted

Steve commented.....MA towers are too light for the job....

KR7X observed....

Is this fastest mile? or 3-sec gust?  <snip>  won't repeat prior post,
except

If the adopted code is IBC; then if the design wind is 90mph; then that is
the 3-sec velocity, which would be 75mph in the older codes.  By the way,
the TIA/EIA 222-F uses Vfm, the G revision uses V3sec.

This being said; I don't see any indication of some subversive activity by
the building officials. They are just asking that the structure be design
based on latest information utilizing the best available knowledge and
techniques.

PE Stamp:
I have a vested interest in this.

I am a licensed civil engineer and licensed structural engineer in several
States and Canadian Provences. In every case the licensure laws have a
stipulation concerning stamping of work not done under the licensee's
responsible charge. <snip>
Since my licenses are necessary for my livelyhood I would not place them in
danger. <snip>
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.  H.S. Lonberg, P.E., S.E. / KR7X  President
-0-

It's obviously a translation problem between standards, which municipalities
are not required or inclined to perform.  The result is a bureaucratic
hurdle
for us.  Regarding professional licenses, I pay $85 an hour or more for a
plumber.
About the same for a car mechanic.  And I expect more than that for MY
consulting
services.  No reason that it should be appreciably different for a PE.

Jim Jarvis, BS, MBA, N2EA
International Business Development
Technology Jumpstart Consultant
jimjarvis at ieee.org