[TowerTalk] Cable Routing

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Thu Sep 14 08:31:41 EDT 2006

Could you pull a truly h-d extension cord in the (buried) pipe to the tower,
along with the cables, and plug it in, only when you needed power at the
tower, to an isolation xfmr?
Nope, not allowed per NEC.  You'll want to use the proper cable/wire for AC power.

>I have questions about the best way to get cables (coax, AC, and
> control) from the shack to the tower.

One thing to remember, if you're going underground, any conduit you install WILL get water into it, either from migration from the ground or more likely from condensation from the moisture in the air trapped inside (unless you nitrogen purge the system).
So, any cables/wires/coaxes pulled would best be rated for immersion.
Personally for my coaxes and control cables, I use 4 inch slotted PVC drainage pipe wrapped in landscape fabric and only use direct burial rated coax.
I don't run AC out but if I did, it be in it's own conduit or direct buried.
Phil  KB9CRY