[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 45, Issue 66

Bob Smith na6t at na6t.com
Fri Sep 15 02:15:11 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I got to get in here,,, this answer is as to how to get the string, rope, etc
through the conduit to pull the cable...

*** Before you pull the Cable through the conduit

First,, if your going to pull cable, always start with at least two
pull ropes in
the conduit.  Then when you pull the cable through tie off one of the ropes
at both ends (this is for the possible screw-up), and tie the cable
on the other
rope.  I always feed the pull wire down the conduit sections as I
assemble them,
20' at a time, without any problems. Also, keep a little tension on
the ropes as
you pull them through the conduit AND don't twist the ropes, the easiest way
to do this is use a fiberglass "fishrod" and watch what you are doing.
These rods are commonly available at wholesale electrical suppliers and are
the same thing the telco, cable and electrical contractors use to fish wire
through walls, etc.
Feeding 2 wires always gives you a fall back and doing it at the time of
the install saves all the grief of trying the vaccum cleaner sucking,
etc when the conduit is in the ground.

*** Now, when you get ready to pull the cable through the conduit,

AT THE SAME TIME, tie another rope to the cable being pulled through
the conduit, this way you pull the cable AND another pull rope through the
cable at the same time. When your finished you have 2 pull ropes
in the conduit for the next pull.

When pulling the cable through the conduit lube the cable and rope with
"wire pulling lube" like IDEAL YELLOW 77 (ideal pn # 31-358).  or if you
  want to go expensive, use their teflon additive or auga-gell 2.

hope this helps someone because I've had to follow up someone who
has screwed-up the order and it's a real PITA to do all this after the fact.

Bob Smith
Robert Smith Consulting
Wireless ISP's , Government & Commercial Installations
NA6T

Message: 9