[TowerTalk] And now for something completely different(TrueNorth)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 17 12:30:59 EDT 2006

At 09:45 PM 9/16/2006, K8RI on TowerTalk wrote:

> > At 04:49 PM 9/16/2006, Jim Miller wrote:
> >>According to "true north", is the North Star really at 0.00 degrees from
> >>north?  Is it our actual "true north"?
> >>73, Jim
>
>Yah, but right or left?  I hate to align the 30 degree wide main lobe on my
>antenna 3/4 of a degree in the wrong driection. That'd make it 1.5 degrees
>off optimum<:-))

Leading to a loss of 0.03 dB.. you know how important those
hundredths of an S-unit are.

  And then, the bird repelling properties of the owl will be affected too.

Actually, though, the other link I posted (about using polaris) is
fascinating.. It makes the point that with a standard theodolite
telescope, Polaris is visible in the daytime, and because it moves a
lot slower (angular wise) than the sun, it's easier to get a good
north direction.  I'll have to give it a try.