[TowerTalk] And now for something completelydifferent(TrueNorth)

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Sun Sep 17 18:46:24 EDT 2006

Mike Fatchett wrote:

>does it
>really matter that you are exactly at true north?...
>I thought the high noon suggestion made the most sense or buy a compass and
>adjust for the declination.

Timing is everything in life.  September 20th or 21st is almost upon
us.  That being the equinox, climb your tower just before sunrise or
sunset and note where on the horizon the sun comes up or sets.  That's
east or west, respectively, and unless you're in a valley between two
extremely close mountain ranges I can't imagine you need anything more
accurate than that for HF.  If your beams have such narrow beamwidth
that that's not accurate enough for you or them, you obviously can
afford to hire a surveyor (or ship's captain).

Alternatively, borrow a friend's GPS unit and walk off a N-S or E-W path
that includes your tower.

I've found I'm much more emotionally affected by whether the booms of my
two beams on the same mast are lined up perfectly with each other than I
am by whether North is north.... :-)

Bud, W2RU