[TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane

Don Moman VE6JY ve6jy at 3web.com
Mon Sep 18 15:08:28 EDT 2006

Altho Rohn 55G isn't something I have direct experience with,  200 feet
of it is too weak to be lifted in one piece.  And the weight of the guys
will not help.  This project will need to be done in at least 2 lifts to
complete.   If there are tower strength doubts, just lift it at the 2/3
point with a front end loader/winch or whatever and just try to get it
off the ground.   Just stop before you break it, in this case.

I lifted 160 feet of a 33" face tower in one piece, but the tower showed
signs of bending (ultimately buckling)  enough that I had to use a 2 way
"truss" on it to prevent it from buckling until it got vertical enough
to reduce the stress.  This was marginally safe with this fairly large
tower,  but I can't imagine trying that with 200 feet of 55.

73 Don
VE6JY