[TowerTalk] Tower mast..

AA6DX - Mark aa6dx at arrl.net
Mon Sep 18 20:44:02 EDT 2006

Joe .. that is part of the fun of Amateur Radio, `spearmintin' and like
that!  In the days of yore, many a ham shack had directional antennas turned
by hand ..  called the  "ARMSTRONG METHOD" .. I have had some like that, a
couple as simple as a nylon line looped around the front of a yagi antenna,
with appropriate tie-off points in the wanted directions ... with a
tri-bander or like that, you don't need any north-pointing hoot owls or like
that .. find Polaris, stick a stake that-a-way, and go for it.   Look for
ancient publications with Armstrong Rotator install hints .. not too hard to
find .. lots of hams had steering wheels with compass points to spin that
thar aerial!  AND .. you can find bargains on rotators from time to time,
especially if you are willing to take them apart and get them functioning
... not brain surgery, and lots of help available here, and at the rotator
(or, rotor .. like you had in your `57 Chevvy distributor) repair places,
they are really swell at providing info, and have parts galore... quite
reasonable to redo as new!
73  Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX

mailto: AA6DX at ARRL.NET