[TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Mon Sep 18 21:43:47 EDT 2006

Keith,

I would not suggest doing what you propose. I have had towers raised by cranes
and professional tower crews and I have never seen 200 feet of Rohn 55G done at
once. 60 foot pieces might be OK (without guys), but I would consult directly
with Rohn for their expert advice to make sure.

When we used a crane to set my 40 meter tower (24" face, with solid 1" legs) we
only set 60 feet at a time (without guys). That is what the tower manufacture
(PiRod) specified.

At 200 feet, are you close to any public use airports (private or commercial)?

Good Luck and Be Safe!
73,
Tim K3LR