[TowerTalk] Tower mast..

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 19 14:21:45 EDT 2006

At 09:40 AM 9/19/2006, K8RI on TowerTalk wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but you'd better not be depending on it to slide very far in and
out, especially under load.

One thing about working the special effects business, I got to see
just about every lashup improvised mechanical thing you can think of,
but I also got to see all the bizarre failure modes too. (did you
know that turning a rear axle on end (i.e. axles vertical, prop shaft
horizontal) only works in one orientation, at least for the one we
used to drive a helicopter rotor.. I can't remember if it was left
wheel up or right wheel up, but the "wrong" way ran into some serious
lubrication issues.
http://www.reelefx.com/Tornado/40footVolvo.htm