[TowerTalk] dx skeds/ language translation / inappropriate

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 22:08:05 EDT 2006

TT:

This is off-topic, but worth saying once.
No response, no comments, no flames, no more thread, if you please.

The language translation site which was posted here...and the
post itself...pose an interesting problem.

In case you DIDN'T check...a translate-retranslate exercise
reveals that  'CW'... that's Morse Code, for the NSA monitoring
folks... translated to "Chemical Warfare", rather than 'Continuous Wave'.
Most embarassing.

I would venture to suggest that said translators are best NOT used, in
future.
I speak a few languages...and have had access to translation programs for
some time.  At best, they suck.  Even a college student could do a better
job,
in most languages, than the program.  If you don't speak it, don't assume
that a computer will do it for you;  send it in English, and let the other
guy deal with it.

Can't wait to see if my DHS consulting gigs get cancelled.  :)

N2EA