[TowerTalk] Coax

wa3afs at inav.net wa3afs at inav.net
Wed Sep 20 15:23:15 EDT 2006

The type of coax depends a little on the distance from the shack to the top of the tower.

Purists would probably say 9913 or 9914 or the equivalent.

I have had excellent results using RG8X for distances over 150-200 feet.

If you are buying in bulk (500 feet or 1000 feet), I would recommend you check out Pasternak.com.  The last couple
of times I ordered (1000 feet RG8X two months ago) the shipping was free and I felt their price was very
reasonable.

Other places to order would be Cable-X, Wireman, HRO.  I have not verified lately, but the quality of the stuff at
Ratshack was not as good.

I am putting up a 3 element SteppIR also.  Think I am about half through the construction (Boom assembled, motor
boxes installed, about to start connecting all the control wires.  I will have a run of less than 100 feet and I will use
either the RG8X or 9914 (if I have a long enough piece; otherwise will use the RG8X).  I would expect to not be able
to tell the difference (even on 6M)

73
   Bruce