[TowerTalk] 9913 coax

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 20 19:24:34 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:22:37 -0400, Larry Kirkland wrote:

>I'm trying some Commscope #3227 that was recommended to me as as
>substitute for LMR-400.  It's somewhat stiff, but is light and standard
>connectors are easy to install.  This stuff is inexpensive (compared to
>9913 or LMR-400) and can be found readily on EBay.

A couple of years ago, there was a warehouse on the East Coast full of this
stuff that was purchased by a cell wireless company who then proceeded to
go belly up before they could use it. It got sold VERY cheap, a friend
bought half a truckload or so, and I bought a couple of spools from him. If
you read the datasheet (available online), it's clear that this is a cable
specifically designed for use at UHF, and a 10 second look at the physical
cable will tell you that it isn't designed to flex. It is a nice cable, but
I can't vouch for how weatherproof it might be.

Jim K9YC