[TowerTalk] homebrew low voltage surge suppressors?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 13:49:30 EDT 2006

I agree with you Jerry. What they fail to disclose is the amount of energy
that is being dealt with. If the "propagation slows down via the coax" that
doesn't change the amount of energy that has to be dissipated.

Their use of a coil across the line is also questionable. The reason that
Polyphaser puts a capacitor in series on the equipment side is so that any
coils in the equipment, like receiver links, doesn't short the line and hold
the voltage low so the gas tube doesn't fire early. Having a DC path to
ground there can allow a significant amount of energy to pass before the
voltage can get high enough for the gas tube to fire. The coil will ring and
pass energy.

On another note on knowing if the gas tube has failed it can be checked
easily with a small hi-pot tester on the polyphaser unit connected to the
antenna side of the suppressor. With a coil to ground in the unit
disassembly would be required to check it.

73
Gary  K4FMX