[TowerTalk] 160 meter vertical

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Sep 27 14:30:08 EDT 2006

I think you would have better results loading the antenna with a top hat.
The hat can be a single wire going back toward the ground ( inverted L) or 3
or 4 shorter wires, similar to the way you would guy a tower.  It would be
better if you could get a little more height.  If you don't have a high
enough tree, it's easy to make a 55 to 60' mast, even a tubular push up
tower would work.   I use a 54' freestanding aluminum vertical with a single
top load wire in Aruba and it works pretty well.  It's barely visible on the
right side of the house http://www.qrz.com/p40a

John KK9A / P40A