[TowerTalk] 160 meter vertical

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Wed Sep 27 19:13:57 EDT 2006

Sevick showed in the 1970s that if proper attention is paid to radials,
in performance to their full-size counterparts.

One of the best illustrations of that was a 40 meter vertical about six feet
tall. It had a top hat with about a six-foot diameter above a loading coil
and over a model radial bed. I think he theorized the difference in
performance was less than the resolution of his test equipment at the time.

Anyone with QSTs that old will probably remember the photo of his wife
sitting on a lawn chair under the top hat.

I think shortened antennas get a bad rap when people don't take the time to
understand and resolve the various issues involved.

73, kelly
ve4xt