[TowerTalk] Radials - What is the big deal?

Carl Smidt xveoneov at primus.ca
Sun Apr 1 15:58:47 EDT 2007

I agree with Jim's observations and comments.

The QST article was just trying not to discourage newcomers from experimenting, even a wet string will do at times.

I started out in 1953 with a, so-called, Pogo Stick vertical from an article in either QST or CQ magazine, or maybe 73.

If I recall correctly, I used a 20 foot piece of 2" x 2", with holes drilled through it every inch and #18 wire snaked through the holes from the bottom to the top.

It was bottom fed through a home-made, tapped, coil and top loaded with a copper toilet bowl float; no radials.

I worked all kinds of stations, Europe and South America on 75 and 40 meters CW and had a ball.

I also fed my Viking II into my bed springs when living with my parents and worked lots of stations on 40M CW.

I even tapped it on to my mother's clothes line with great results and without burning holes in her sheets (Pi networks are great).

Whatever it takes, one can't be too fussy when starting out in the hobby, particularly when working CW.   BCI and TVI aside  :>)

73,   Carl  VE9OV