[TowerTalk] Radials - What is the big deal?

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Sun Apr 1 18:10:22 EDT 2007

On Apr 1, 2007, at 12:30 PM, WA3GIN wrote:

 >Yesterday I received an email from a "new" general class that just
upgraded from tech.  He has been trying to work stations >using a
slinky antenna in his attack but didn't have any luck at all.  I gave
him a Hustler 4BTV vertical.  He put it up in >his back yard on a
post with no radials.  Turned on his FT897 and proceeded to work
Germany on 40 SSB.  The fella is very >excited and thrilled about his
DX performance on his first attempt at HF. He doesn't know anything
about near field or far >field radials systems and he is haveing a
blast on HF with the vertical that radiates equally poorly in all
directions.

Dave - Please do the right thing and tell him how much better his
antenna will work and how much easier it will be to work stations,
particularly DX if he installs a few radials. Please?  - Duffey