[TowerTalk] Very Large Antenna Farm Puzzler

bob wf3h at vsswireless.net
Sun Apr 1 22:35:57 EDT 2007

I used to work for ATT before it became Lucent/Agere. As a fresh engineer
out of college I was taken on a tour of the ATT Long Lines switching HQ in
Bedminster NJ. At that time, ATT was the 'phone company'...the one and only.

This location was designed, according to the tour guide, to withstand a near
miss from a nuclear weapon since many defense communications were handled by
ATT.

The facility at Ocean Gate/Manahawkin was designed to withstand hurricanes
since these do strike the New Jersey coast on occasion. The building was
concrete, with shields that could be rolled down over the windows in the
event of a hurricane. It was only a few feet from the water, so they needed
the protection.

Bob/WF3H