[TowerTalk] Radials vs vertical height

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Mon Apr 2 23:22:33 EDT 2007

> I mentioned long ago in this thread that a 1/2 wave vertical needs almost no
> ground to work pretty well and most seemed to want to ignore it and continue
> to bitch about how many radials you need or the antenna won't work.
>
> 73
> Gary K4FMX

If installed over salty marsh.
Ever tried to model or compare any vertical over average and "perfect" sea ground and see the gain at LOW angles?

The higher and larger the current carrying portion of the radiator, the further out it is "looking" for (good) ground.

Example of well working vertical installation is at http://www.teslaradio.org/w8lrl.htm
"wasting" 360 radials 200 ft long.

Most studies have addressed the quarter wave or shorter verticals and their radial fields, but situation is different with longer verticals and more extensive radial fields (morfing into perfect ground).

Yuri, K3BU.us