[TowerTalk] Earth Anchors

N7DF n7df at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 11:54:55 EDT 2007

Some people have commented about the earth anchors I referred to being cheap, agricultural quality.

  The holding power of the anchors I mentioned is the important thing and these are equal in every way to the more expensive ones.  Their paint job is an agricultural quality enamel designed to hold up in an acidic soil situation such as would be encountered on a farm.  In the 4 years plus I have used them there has been no evidence of corrosion, even on some that I dug up after 4 years in the ground.  In fact, my galvanized anchors that I have on some towers have corroded through the galvanizing at the ground surface and begun to rust.  My soil here is saturated with gypsum and is so corrosive that it will completely dissolve an aluminum pipe left lying on it within a year.  If there is any concern about corrosion all you have to do is get a can of roofing tar and coat the anchor with it before installation.  Actually I have never heard of an earth anchor that failed because of corrosion.  BTW I always dig a hole then put the anchor in it and water settle the backfill.  I
 have never lived in a place where it was possible to screw them in.

73 From Number 7 Desert Fox

Remember E equals I x R is not just a good idea.  It is THE LAW