[TowerTalk] Cap/Inductance meter

W5LT W5LT at tx.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 16:39:18 EDT 2007

Jake:
You might consider the AIM-4170 Antenna Analyzer from Array Solutions.
It is (to my knowledge) the only reasonably priced antenna analyzer that
provides correctly signed reactance (X) in an impedance measurement
(R+/-jX). This is a very important difference when it comes to needing to
tune or match something.
The software that comes with it can turn the X into Capacitance or
Inductance values as appropriate. More importantly, it directly measures
IMPEDANCE of the circuit under test, as opposed to other "antenna analyzers"
that only measure VSWR or reflection coefficient. Once the impedance of the
shunt feed (or trap or other circuit) is known, you to easily calculate an
appropriate matching network, or whatever.
It was designed by W5BIG, and the article describing it and how to make one
is in the Nov, 2006 QST. Links to that article and more are at the AS
webpage:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/AIM4170.htm#top%20of%20page

>From the circuit shown, you can see there is a lot more to it than a simple
bridge or directional coupler device.