[TowerTalk] Tower base.

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 13:11:14 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/6/2007 3:24:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Folks, I have a 60ft (6 x 10ft section) tower, like the  Universal 18"
pattern. I intend on a 36"x36"x36" concrete (C20) footing set  into near
solid rock ground. Any ideas or documents on concrete footings  and design of
rebar, heat cracking problems of pouring such a cubic amount  of concrete in
one go? Additives? I want to get this up ASAP due to certain  planning
requirements so don't have much time to get a engineer out to have  a look so
am happy to over engineer the thing. I can supply accurate  dimensions of the
tower if needed.

    My first question is why aren't you using the  free solid rock that's
just sitting there? You're proposing taking out the  rock - a LOT of work - and
then replacing it with concrete. Why bother? Use a  rock drill to drill your
anchor bolt holes and then epoxy the anchor bolts  into the rock. Put concrete
on the top of the rock to 4-6" above grade to get  water to run off and you'll
be good to go. Sounds simple and cheap to  me.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams