[TowerTalk] Whole House Surge Protectors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 11 13:06:17 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:42:59 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>Actually, not entirely true...  If you have a decent whole house
>system, then the point of use supression should be chosen very
>carefully.. for instance, you want the threshold voltage to be HIGHER
>than the threshold voltage for the whole house unit.

I'll take that a step further. The safest approach is a whole house
unit at the service entrance taking care of what comes in on the feed
to the building, including provisions for telephone lines, CATV, etc.
That earth bonding point needs to have the shortest practical
connection to the lightning protection for your ham station.

On branch circuits, you want SERIES-MODE protection devices. The best
are made by a company called SurgeX. The circuitry is protected by
patent. A company called Brick Wall licenses the same patent. My RFI
tutorial includes a discussion of these issues.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC