[TowerTalk] R. L. Drake Replacement B-1000 Balun for MN-2700 Tuner?

larryjspammenot@teleport.com larryj at teleport.com
Fri Apr 13 16:35:54 EDT 2007

I recently picked up a very nice Drake TR-7 station at an estate sale. One of the items is an MN-2700 KW Antenna Tuner. Unfortunately, the original owner didn't buy the B-1000 balun for it, as he only used coax-fed antennas like Inverted Vees, a tribander beam, etc. and never used balanced line fed or single wire antennas.

Has anyone used another brand of balun in place of the B-1000? I would think that any KW-rated 4:1 balun would be fine. I'm looking for a recommendation for one that would be a good physical fit without drilling into or modifying the original case.

I know the original Drake B-1000 baluns sometimes appear on epay, etc., but they usually want a premium price for one - much more than an equivalent one from  manufacturers who have them available today, and sometimes even for more money than the tuner itself.

LJ