[TowerTalk] Ladder line suggestions?

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Thu Apr 19 11:39:21 EDT 2007

I need some advice on using ladder line if you would be so kind.

I have a Palstar AT5K 5kW tuner but sp far I've only used it with coax
feed and a W9INN trap dipole. I'm considering using my 160 meter
inverted vee with the tuner on all HF bands other than 20/15/10, where
I have a yagi. The main reason is to avoid having a remote coax switch
outside. I can just switch the Palstar from coax for the yagi to
balanced for everything else.

Any pitfalls here? I have lightning suppressors on the coax, but what
about the ladder line? The voltages would be pretty high depending on
the SWR, so I'm wondering if maybe a DPDP knife switch to ground the
ladder line when not in use might be a better idea. Or possible some
homebrew spark gaps on the latter line? Or both? Or something else?

Also, how well would the vee work on the higher bands? According to
EZNEC the pattern is pretty wild. Woould I be sorry?

All suggestions appreciated.

73, Bill W6WRT