[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 52, Issue 43

Dennis Severns hamrigger at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 23:53:00 EDT 2007

Dennis Severns <hamrigger at yahoo.com> wrote: Hey Steve

I wear one of these same suits on occasion  when working  on live broadcast  towers  and antennas. They say it it will protect us from the thousands of watts of RF power we are being exposed to. I guess they do work, a coworker of mine was on a tower working on the antenna for a TV station with the power turned off, but the engineer at the tower site did not lock the transmitter into local mode and the people at the studio turned it back on while he was still on the tower and exposed him to about thirty thousand watts causing his clothing to catch fire and receiving RF burns on his body. He is now driving a taxi and still trying to get a settlement from the broadcast company. I have been exposed to RF 16 times the legal limit while wearing these suits and so far have not had any problems.

All in the name of profits, the power companies do not want any interruption of service and neither do the radio and TV  companies.

Dennis Severns kc0sul
Professional Tower Tech/ Rigger

K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 4/18/2007 6:00:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  This isn't exactly ham radio, but it does have a bit to  do
with towers (of a sort), electricity (lots of it), a
Faraday cage,  and someone who is much much
braver than I am...

>  _http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower_
(http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower)

    HOLY CRAP! Talk about your high pucker  factor!

    The only thing I didn't get was what they were  actually doing. I didn't
see any work going on - just the helo ride and the  wire crawling. Any idea as
to why they were up there?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -