[TowerTalk] US Tower Problems

jcowens1 at comcast.net jcowens1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 20 12:03:15 EDT 2007

Dick (K5RR):

I have had the same problem you are having with the stall upon raising the tower and have resorted to doing the same thing you do. If I briefly lower the tower and then switch to raising, it usually takes off and raises the tower. Once it is under way, it doesn't hesitate or stall the rest of the way up. There is friction between the various sections and they told me to use bees wax on the tower areas where there is abnormal friction. I bought some and put it on and it did help the situation.

I guess it is kind of a tradeoff situation. You can't have an overkill on power to move the sections as that might put unreasonable stress on the cables and result in a breakage. Before I put the bees wax on the tower innter surfaces, it used to bind slightly towards the end of travel up. It is better with the bees wax.

Regarding oil, I changed mine last year and I am pretty sure I used regular automobile differential oil (90 wt?).  The Hub City (gearbox mfr) literature I have says GL-90 for temps between 15 and 60 DEGF, or GL-150 for temps between 50 to 125 DEGF. It says to change it after every 100 hours of use. For me, that is about every 20 years.  I chose GL90 because of the lower viscosity. I talk with Gary Smith at UST when I have questions (559)733-2438. He has been there a long time and seems to be the most knowledgeable.

By the way, you don't have to buy their replacement v-belt as a Dayco 4L350 from Schucks Auto (or equiv) works just fine at about  1/5th of their price. These should be replaced periodically as you never want to have one of these come off or break. All of my expoeriences and information relate to my HDX 572 MDPL which should be equivalent to yours in these areas

John Owens - N7TK