[TowerTalk] US Tower problem

k6xyz k6xyz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 20 16:14:03 EDT 2007

I've had the same 'sticking' problem on a Tri-Ex manual winch tower.
I learned to extend it all the way to the stop, then lower it about 5 turns
so that next time I need to lower it and it sticks again I just raise it a
couple of turns to bust it loose and then it will come right down.
What the tower mfgrs don't wanna tell you is that the galvanizing will wear
through over time in some of the contact points so rust will form and bind
it up.
My Tri-Ex was up for 27 years and it started 'rusting up' after a couple of
years. I put grease on the rusty areas and never had another problem. The
dirt that collected in the grease didn't affect the operation of the tower.
Likely the voltage and motor are ok.

Regards

Dave Harmon
CCA 97-535