[TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott

Dick Green wc1m at msn.com
Sat Apr 21 18:11:13 EDT 2007

I asked the same question. A fellow from Tennadyne explained that if the
wind load is high enough, the Slipp-Nott will in fact slip before the guts
of the rotor are torn up. I guess that's a believable explanation, though I
would expect there are a lot of variables, including variations in rotor
construction, that they couldn't possibly have taken into account. In other
words, how do they know that the Slipp-Nott will always slip before the
rotor is destroyed?

That said, it looks like the device would be very helpful in cases where the
rotor jaws are not well-designed, as in the M2 rotor. There are a lot of
other rotors where I think it would be superfluous if you simply tighten the
clamp sufficiently. My 40-2CD recently slipped, and I found that I was able
to further tighten the rotor clamp u-bolts by using a longer handled wrench.
I've generally not had slippage problems when I really tighten down all the
nuts on the rotor clamp and boom-to-mast bolts.

I think the bottom line is that no matter what you do, short of pinning the
antenna to the mast and the mast to the rotor, you're going to get slippage
in very high winds. If you pin the mast, you risk destruction of the rotor.
Either way, the aftermath of a big wind storm is likely going to require a
trip up the tower.

73, Dick WC1M