[TowerTalk] Mast slipping

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 08:05:23 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/22/2007 7:11:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Frank,

>  Are you saying the Orion has a  basic design flaw that no amount of
strengthening or improvement will  correct?  If so, please elaborate.

         Did you miss my  recent 4-20 Orion post where I spelled out exactly
what the design flaws were?  Here it is again:

>      It's an Orion design flaw, the mast  clamp has 2  problems. First, the
surface where the nuts and bolts seat  are dimpled - not  flat. Over time,
the
wind motion causes the washers  to pound the dimples flat,  thus loosening up
the
nuts; then the  mast is loose and starts moving. The  problem can be
eliminated
by  milling or grinding those surfaces flat.

>    Secondly only 2-3 teeth per surface of the clamp actually  contact the
mast,
resulting in very little clamping. Then you get the teeth  being  worn down
as
the mast moves back and forth and it loosens some more.

>  You can re-tighten everything and it'll probably  be  good for a couple of
years. For a 4L SteppIR, you can also pin the  mast.  Pinning works for
everything except a MonstIR which tends to  shear them off.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH