[TowerTalk] Tower guy wires / EHS size

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Apr 24 16:53:10 EDT 2007

Dale,

Using 1/4 inch EHS rather than 3/16 inch EHS will not be a problem.

Initial guy tension is normally set at 10 percent of its published
breaking strength, with upper and lower limits of 15 and 8 percent.

Guy wire tension less than 8 percent places excessive wear on guy
attachment hardware as the guy slackens and tightens repeatedly during
wind events.  There have been many documented cases of guy attachment
hardware failure as a result of excessive wear caused by inadequate
guy tension.

Guy tension is excess of 15 percent of breaking strength reduces the
useful load capacity of the tower by placing unnecessary vertical
loads on the tower.

73!
Frank
W3LPL