[TowerTalk] Large Loop Antenna - Electrostatically Shield Loops

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Wed Apr 25 10:17:17 EDT 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:17:38 -0400, "Frederick M. Mott"
 <ab8ah at earthlink.net> wrote:

>Bill, the answer to your question is in Chapter 5 of the ARRL 20th edition
>of the ARRL Antenna Book.  The nonmagnetic shield is "to maintain loop
>balance with respect to ground, by forcing the capacitance between all
>portions of the loop and ground to be identical".

That makes sense, although I would not have thought that balance to
ground would be important enough to worry about. I dont' recall seeing
this a consideration with other antennas, although perhaps that is
because loops are often mounted closer to ground. Just guessing.

Bill W6WRT