[TowerTalk] Mast slipping

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 12:32:08 EDT 2007

First hand feedback: a full sized 80m 3-el yagi (1200 #) will windmill a
large prop pitch with about 45 mph wind. This is for a very well balanced design
with equal element spacing.

You can't imagine how disconcerting it is to be belted off  next to one of
those big drives and hear it screaming as the antenna rotates 90  degrees in
about five seconds!

I had to scrounge up an original disc brake for the prop pitch motor to  hold
that load in the gusty Texas winds.

Wonder how one calculates twisting torque when the load is balanced? There
seems to be a missing bit of information needed to do such a calculation;
variation in wind speed over an area of say 100ft in width.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 4/25/2007 11:12:26 A.M. Central Daylight Time,