[TowerTalk] Connectors needed

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 25 18:06:08 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:14:33 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>They're called either DIN or Mini DIN connectors, depending on the
>size

I've always hated these connectors, and the ones that Mouser sells
have the added "feature" of melting quite easily while taking solder
quite poorly. As a result, it's really tough to solder reliably to
them without deforming the connector to the point where it won't
mate. One trick that has been recommended to me is to plug it into a
mating connector while soldering it. This does help with the
deformation problem, but the connector still takes solder very
poorly.

I've bought much better quality DIN's elsewhere, including from
Kenwood dealers as "official" Kenwood replacements.

Jim Brown K9YC