[TowerTalk] Utility Poles

Paul Darwactor phd73 at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 28 03:02:22 EDT 2007

For those who think a utility pole has no utility for ham use, I would submit the following.

I am using a class 3, 65 foot utility pole that was installed new in 1984. It is pressure

treated and requires no maintenance. For the past 23 years it has supported stacked

beams totaling 25 square feet of wind load with out concrete foundation or guy wires.

It's condition is as solid today as the day it was installed. I was told by the company that

provided it that I could expect 100 years of useful life. I don't expect to be around long

enough to test the warranty. Should I need to remove it I can employ the truck that

installed it to spend about 30 minutes to remove it and refill the empty hole. New owner of

the QTH will never know it was here ! For my money it beats the best of the many steel

and aluminum towers I have owned over my past 54 years in Ham Radio, hands down .

Just my severely devalued dollars worth.  YMMV.

Paul Darwactor
phd73 at mindspring.com
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.