[TowerTalk] Cushcraft A743/A744 DE Support Rope

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Apr 28 22:32:05 EDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 10:27 PM, Bill Coleman wrote:

> I put up my A743 40m add-on kit in October 2005. I was disappointed
> to come home and find that the DE support rope has broken, apparently
> right in the middle -- where the rope passes through the phenolic
> standoff.

Finally completed enough tower climbs to get a diagnosis on this. The
line was frayed in two at the center.

Part of the problem was that I didn't quite install it correctly. The
instructions call for the rope to pass to the opposite side of the
phenolic tube before passing through it. This results in the support
ropes crossing over each other.

When I installed the kit, the beam was already mounted on the tower.
In the struggle to get the support post in place, I forgot about the
cross-over.

Apparently, the cross-over limits the movement of the rope through
the phenolic support. Without this crossover, the line tends to rub
against the phenolic, and it eventually fails.

> So far, the DE has held together OK, the DE just droops a lot --
> about a foot or more on the ends below the reflector and director.
> Not sure how long the antenna will hold together with this much
> strain on the DE, so I plan to replace it soon.

I replaced the support rope with a sheathed nylon rope of 3/16".
Getting it in place took some doing. I think the original rope had a
lot more stretch. I measured out 23 feet, and used about six inches
on each end to tie a bowline. The rope was almost straight across the
droopy element.

With the crossover, I had to remove the support post and push it up
vertically until I could put in the U-bolt. This was very difficult
to do at the top of the tower, especially with the winds gusting to
20 mph.

The support post was set to the minimum height, but the element is
almost in perfect position. I'll give it a day to stretch and adjust
it tomorrow. (Partly because I'm so exhausted from the tower work...)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901