[TowerTalk] Hardwired coax

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 12:19:11 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/30/2007 9:06:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
n3ox at n3ox.net writes:

>  I checked the impedance transformation that you'd get from 2  inches of
several different types of parallel line at 14MHz.  With  "Open Air
Dielectric 19/1.30" I get 50+j6 ohms at the far end when the line  is
looking into a 50+j0 load.

>  In other words, no big  deal.

    That was my feeling but the antenna - a MonstIR -  went from 1.3 or so to
3:1 - a big change. What else could make that much  difference?

    While hardwiring the coax is less than optimal,  it seems to me that you
could see the impedance bump with a TDR or similar but  the RF really doesn't
care how it's transported (so it's out-of-balance for 6  inches - so what?).

    The feedline is acting like a feedline, it's  connected to the antenna
and the antenna is acting like an antenna so I'm  trying to figure out what
would cause the SWR jump.

    More input appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC