[TowerTalk] Hard wired coax

jacobsen_5 at msn.com jacobsen_5 at msn.com
Mon Apr 30 19:21:12 EDT 2007

Steve and all......... I just happened to have something similar here that I could go test.  Instead of the coax going/continuing in a straight line, mine doubles back. Think of the "Victory" V sign with your 2 fingers. The splice is at your knuckle, and your 2 fingers are the coax going to whever.....

I had abt 65' of RG213 to the splice, and then abt 35' past the splice to the end. I placed a 50 ohm resistor at the end and ran it with the MFJ-259 (after of course checking the resistor right at the 259 to make sure it was a "dummy load".

Up to abt 7 or 8 mhz, little or no variation 1:1.  Then as I kept going up to 30 mhz, there were little spikes to abt  1.3:1. Going up to 50 mhz started getting spikes to 1.7:1. Now I would suspect some of them were cause by 1/4 or 1/2 wave lengths, coax age, my "old" eye sight, and a few other things we won't go into.
Of course, as always, YMMV.

I used this coax/splice this winter on a quicky 75/160 vertical I threw together. Worked way beyond my wildest dreams!!! 26' tall (boom from an old 204BA), 9' top hat, some well placed inductance, and 24 ea 30' radials. 600 watts PEP out.

ARRL Intl DX contest...... in 24 Q's, 4 were Canada, the rest were Europe and Central/South America. The 1st was with ON4UN...... Talk about a thrill!!!!!!!!!

CQ 160/SSB contest had 100 Q's, all over the US and Canada.
Can you tell I'm a real hard core contest kinda guy?!

Hope this helps a little.

73
K9WN Jake