[TowerTalk] Cadweld Question

Darrel J. Van Buer darrel at vanbuer.net
Wed Aug 1 02:16:38 EDT 2007

I did my first Cadweld one shots a year ago.  The hardest parts were mechanical - had to touch up the ends of each ground rod with a file in spots where it was mushroomed out from driving it, and getting the mold over the end of the rod (I might have had a slightly-too small size) - the rubber gasket is pretty snug.
The rest was easy.  Poured in the powder, grazed each with a propane torch at arm's length (wrong tool, might blow away some of the powder but... hot enough, running fairly low flame).  It really only burns for a moment, though the molten copper takes a few minutes to cool.

A brazing rod is certainly cheaper than a one shot, but also requires the right (expensive) tools and a lot of skill
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, AK6I
darrel at vanbuer.net