[TowerTalk] Critters and Cables

W5CPT w5cpt at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 2 08:53:37 EDT 2007

I have followed the thread about the loss of cables to the critters and considered myself lucky as all my cables lay on the ground and I live on 17 acres out in the woods and had not lost any coax or control cables to the abundant wildlife I have here in Western Kentucky.  Then it dawned on me, that if it is indeed the salt the furry folks are looking for, I provide that in another form. The Bride and I enjoy sitting on the sun porch watching the deer and wild turkey and I put out a Salt Block twice a year down by the upper pond to attract them. If the critters are getting their requirement from the $5 block, maybe they are not interested in the trace amounts in the wires.  We have seen deer, raccoons, possums (they stink btw) birds of all varieties, squirrels and even turkeys at the block. This would also explain why I have not lost any of the Dacron guys on my vertical to the squirrels that so many complain about.

Admittedly it is all anecdotal evidence but for as inexpensive as a salt block is, it is certainly worth a try.

Clint - W5CPT