[TowerTalk] re 25G base insulator

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:31:11 EDT 2007

Hi,

AM broadcast stations don't use 25 all that often so insulators for it are
kind of unusual.  Rohn used to make a bottom taper and insulator so you
might give them a try, or whoever is making the R25 hardware these days.

Because the station wants to use 25, I'm making a few assumptions--the tower
is going to be around 90 degrees and in the higher part of the band so it
isn't very tall; maybe not even lamped and painted.   You say the f/p I is
5.5 amps.  Assuming a f/p Z of around 36 ohms it looks like a 1 KW station
(this has nothing to do with the insulator--I'm just having some fun).   I
would be a bit uncomfortable with separate leg inulators at the base.  Any
AM R25 tower is still gg to be pretty tall for the face width.  I'd look
into Austin insulators for a single point ceramic insulator and see if they
have anything.  They took over making the Lapp line I believe.  A small 7
inch long Austin might be the ticket depending on the download.

http://www.austininsulators.com/radio/product.html

btw, AM tower sections are often tac welded together.

73,

rob / k5uj