[TowerTalk] Erecting a tower with a block-and-tackle and gin pole

Charles Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Sat Aug 11 14:10:55 EDT 2007

On 8/11/2007 Donald Chester wrote:

> I recall reading an article in a pre-WWII radio publication about raising a
> 100-ft tower entirely with a gin pole, requiring no climbing or crane. <snip>

The short answer is that a GOOD rigger, in the area of rigging that he knows (and it's usually a he, but I've seen 1-2 excellent women riggers) can do amazing things, quickly, easily, with no fuss, and a minimum of risk.

I'm NOT really an experience tower rigger, but I used to rig in crane systems, and I rigged my machine shop into my basement.  The JOKE on that?  The pro riggers would NOT touch the job (I needed the shop OUT of my old basement in 24 hours and didn't have the time - they did that - but would NOT move it into the new basement) - I did it myself about a year later - no fuss, no risk - just didn't have time till then

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
 for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.