[TowerTalk] 40 Meter Vertical

Richard Thorne rmthorne at suddenlink.net
Sat Dec 1 11:56:52 EST 2007

Paul:

I built a 32' vertical with 6' lengths of telescoping aluminum from
Texas Towers.  I started with 1.25" tubing and worked my way up with 6"
over lap.  The antenna really whips around in the wind, but its self
supporting.  We have high winds and ice storms here in Amarillo.  It has
survived just fine over the last couple of years without being guyed.

I have it mounted to a 4x4 fence post with two of these
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=58&PLID=24&SecID=1&DeptID=32&PartNo=DXE%2DRSB%2DI12500

I feed it at the base with an sgc-239 tuner which handles 200 watts.  I
also switch in a b&w coil so it will load on 80m.

I'm working on coming up with a high power feed so I can use an amp some
day.

Rich - N5ZC