[TowerTalk] 40 Meter Vertical

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Dec 1 12:33:51 EST 2007

> Paul,
> Many years ago, Dentron sold a 40m vertical just as you describe.
> I have 5 of them .. three are in place, and the other two are under 8"
> of snow.

I had a couple of those as well.  As I recall they were either 1 1/4 or 1/2
at the base and roughly 33' tall. Bout as flexible as a fishing pole, but I
never had one fail.  Simple, not all that expensive and worked well. arn
near got electrocuted of one of the ground radials tied to an 8' ground rod
too. That was before GFIs and a short in a Yaesu FT-101B put the 110 to the
coax shield. The vertical was far enough from the house electrical ground it
didn't trip, but it sure did bite!  No that was in the days when few had
heard of a single point ground let alone used one.

> We have up to 18" more forcast for today and tomorrow, so will have to
> wait until it all melts or blows away to dig out the other two and
> measure the diameters/lengths.

And wait for the ice to melt.  We're on the edge so we don't really know how
much will be snow, ice, or rain.
OTOH it's supposed to warm up to near 40 with rain and 20 to 30 MPH winds
tomorrow (Sunday)so there shouldn't be much snow left by nigh fall.

Roger (K8RI)