[TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question

Tim Lacy timlaranch at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 2 19:00:45 EST 2007

From: timlaranch at hotmail.comSubject: Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 15:59:20 -0800

I am a backhoe operator, and with an 18 inch bucket I can dig a hole to your specs, but it isn't easy.  I did two test holes in Seattle for a builder last year that were about 2x3x7 feet.  I have a Bobcat 331, and it can be done, although I couldn't see the bucket past about 4 feet.  You develop a feel for it after a while (years). My tower base is about 5x5x6.5.  I used the 18 inch bucket to get 90 percent of it, then a 36 inch grading bucket to finish.  About 6 yards of 6-sack concrete delivered and poured. I'd go a bit large on the specs, say 4x4x7.   I'd also try to get a backhoe operator with the skills and equipment you need for this.  Forget the backfill with forms idea. It's not the weight of the concrete as much as it's resistance to movement against the soil.  When the tower engineers say undisturbed soil, they mean undisturbed soil. -TimK7GRR  Message: 2Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:09:19 +0000From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz at q.com>Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base QuestionTo: TowerTalk <towertalk at contesting.com>Message-ID: <BAY130-W1666DB43D9A83AFD0AFE36E0730 at phx.gbl>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"I plan to install an LM-470 in the near future. The base specs are 3'6 X 3'6 X 7 feet. A noteon the drawing mentions ..."undisturbed soil"... . The Backhoe Operator tells me the hole hedigs will be more like 6' X 6' and the will use concrete forms to reduce it to the required size.After the forms are removed, they will backfill the hole.What do you folks think of that plan ? Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ/7