[TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD skywalker

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Thu Dec 6 14:46:04 EST 2007

Roger,

The primary mod is to strengthen the boom and elements.

Try this link: http://www.qsl.net/k7vc/402cd.html. It's an article by Dave
Leeson, W6QHS, on strengthening the 40-2CD. It's pretty extensive. I believe
there's another article detailing a subset of Dave's modifications that
appeared in the ARRL's National Contest Journal, but offhand I don't know
the date or author. My 40-2CD, which I also purchased second-hand, was quite
old (#5 or #6 off the production line) and the elements had drooped
significantly. I replaced the tubing in and near the center of each element,
and reinforced it per the article in NCJ.

You should check the coils and their screws to make sure they're in good
condition. Replacements can be ordered from Cushcraft or you can fabricate
your own.

73, Dick WC1M