[TowerTalk] Seperation?

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Sat Feb 10 11:29:34 EST 2007

Gary,

You're correct that six feet to the first insulator is likely to cause
a resonance in the vicinity of 28 MHz in that set of guys.

However...   Frequent energetic guy motion in the wind will damage the
solution you described.

The best approach is to add a new insulator near the tower.  Here are
two alternatives to achieve closer spacing:

   - install a new insulator with wire clips (e.g., Crosby clips) as
near as possible to the tower.  This should get you within perhaps two
feet.  But this is lots of work, ugh!

   - a better solution is to use an insulator shackle at the top of
each guy.  These  are over sized shackles commonly used on AM broadcast
and VLF/LF towers to place the first insulator very close to the tower.
Think of it as a large U-bolt shaped shackle, with a curved forged
bolt (instead of a straight bolt) across the the end of the shackle.
The curved bolt passes through the hole in the insulator.

I have some forged insulator shackles in my junk box that I could ship
to you if you want to use that easy solution.  These insulator
shackles are 2.5 inches between the legs and 8 inches long (just like a
U-bolt), and made out of 1/2 inch diameter forged steel. Their
strength far exceeds the strength of 1/4 inch EHS.  They fit any guy
insulator with diameter of 2.5 inches or less and a hole diameter of
1/2 inch or more.  They fit the common "502 johnny ball" insulator
perfectly.

Depending on the design of your tower guy attachment, its likely that you'll need a smaller 5/16 inch or 3/8 inch standard shackle to attach
the insulator shackle to your tower guy attachment.

73!
Frank
W3LPL